2007-04-06

Serenity Trounces Star Wars

Another Slashdot post, this one from back on Tuesday.
The BBC is reporting that the film Serenity has been voted the number-one Sci Fi film of all time. Serenity is a followup to the series Firefly. The 2005 film beat out Star Wars better than two-to-one for the top honors. This result came in a poll of 3000 readers of SFX magazine.
All hail Joss Whedon. Interestingly, I was just thinking about George Lucas' downfall while reading an article on Gamers With Jobs, by Elysium: Georgie Come Philately – A Brief Nerd Rant.
Strolling into the post office today I noticed a banner on the door helpfully informing me that Star Wars stamps would be available soon. Great, I thought, because I'd just realized that my written correspondence was the only thing left in my life to which I couldn't affix R2D2. Now, finally, the people I send mail to, mainly people who send demands for money with return envelopes, will know of my secret longing to become a jedi.

Look, I like Star Wars as much as the next internet nerd (read: a lot), but I think it's finally time to let the whole thing sink under the waves like Leonardo DiCapprio in Titanic. Much like Star Trek, which has been solidly dead to me pretty much since Gul Dukat and the pah-wraiths killed Dax, I think finally I can move on, and find something else on which to get my geek all over. Dammit, Joss Whedon, will you hurry up and make something so my inner fanboy has something to do.
May the schwartz be with you! (Personally, I liked Spaceballs: The Flamethrower.) Granted, I am a huge fan of the Star Wars literary universe (I have one of the paperbacks from said franchise in my bag). I would LOVE to see such literary opportunities extended to the Firefly/Serenity universe.

Oooh, I'm gettin' all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it...

BTW, for the impatient, or for those who detest clicking links away from another page, here's the top sci-fi movies:

1. Serenity
2. Star Wars
3. Blade Runner
4. Planet of the Apes
5. The Matrix
6. Alien
7. Forbidden Planet
8. 2001: A Space Odyssey
9. The Terminator
10. Back to the Future


No comments: