2007-04-24

Feisty Fawn is Here!

Yep, newest release for Ubuntu, Feisty Fawn, is here. No, I don't know where they come up with these names. But I've noticed the upgrade button on the Update Manager so I moved from 6.10 to 7.04 this week. Here are some Slashdot articles on this topic:

Seven Essential Tips For Using Ubuntu Feisty Fawn, Friday April 20
Matthew Newton, a columnist at PC World, has a great article up on seven things you'll want to change as soon as you start using Feisty Fawn. Some are as simple as making sure the Alt key works right, another gives you step-by-step instructions for turning on the impressive Beryl interface. 'I could spend a whole 'nother column telling you about all the great packages that are not installed by default, but for now I'll just leave you with this bonus tip: If you're running Ubuntu on a laptop and your Wi-Fi card is not detected or supported, try installing the Ndisgtk package (listed as such in Synaptic, but as 'Wireless Windows Drivers' in Add/Remove Applications). Then select the new System, Administration, Windows Wireless Drivers entry in Ubuntu's menu bar.'
Really excellent article that's linked there, I tried out the Desktop Effects and liked it enough that I enabled Beryl - and it's a blast! Note that this is my work machine so it's a little beefier than my home linux workstations... so I may just have to enjoy the benefits here only. And speaking of Beryl...

Beryl User Interface for Linux Reviewed, Monday April 23
OSWeekly.com has published a review of Beryl, a very cool looking UI for Linux. Matt Hartley writes, "This release, in my opinion, was the most over-hyped and bug-filled to date. You will have to really hit Technorati to see more of what I'm talking about, but Feisty is as buggy as the beta I tested a short time ago. After completely tossing into the wilds of the ubber-buggy "network-manager," anything running with Edgy supported RT2500 driver shows up, but it will not connect without a special script. Those of you who are on Feisty and need help with your RT2500 cards are welcome to e-mail me for the bash script."
I don't think I'd agree with the buggy part - but that may be because I've bee upgrading from a working 6.10 install rather than from scratch. I've not experienced any problems though.

No comments: