2005-10-19

Quite the Adventure

Yes, it has been. I've spent two nights in Bangalore now, and it has been interesting to say the least. You can keep up on the fun with my boss, Nathaniel's, journal.

It all started at the airport Monday. Got there in plenty of time, stood in line at the wrong counter (domestic economy, not international business), when I moved over Donna and the girls had to leave as they were getting a might clingy. Just as well, or I would have had to drag them around a bit! So I get to the counter at United, she starts to book me on a different flight! I say no, this is my flight - "Oh, that's Lufthansa, you need their counter." (Even though it was a United flight, it was operated by Lufthansa.) So I get to Lufthansa, they can't issue me a ticket because I am now booked on two flights! Now I have to run clear around all the counters to the United ticker purchase line, who complemented the other ticket agent on their creativeness as they tried to fix it. Finally got a ticket, NOW I have to get back to Lufthansa to get my boarding pass. All told, an hour wasted before I can even stand in line to get through security. Very, very glad I got there early...

Long flights, incredible comfort. Three course meals, luxurious room, separate video consoles and headphones, power plug-ins for laptops (had to remove my battery to get enough current though), pillows and blankets, and even hot washcloths soaked in citrus water to freshen up. Yep, I could learn to like this... Except I got violently ill from something on the first-leg plane flight... Four-hour layover in Frankfurt, slept some at the business lounge (also very nice) then another long flight to Bangalore. When we get there, no car is waiting for us. Hmmm, ominous...

Get to the hotel after a very harrying taxicab ride (the amazing race show does it no real justice, trust me) to find they don't have our reservation. In fact, they still had us down for our OLD one, which had us arriving two days earlier, so they gave our rooms away. So for the last two nights we've been bunking together in a small box of a room, but last night Nathaniel had the travel agent call and make new reservations (because I don't think they were trying all that hard to fix things at the front desk...) so tonight at least Nathaniel has a room of his own. And he found out there's a full gym downstairs, so he's a happy camper now.

OK, so I'm off now, I'll write more of my dining experiences later. That's an adventure all in itself....

No comments: