2005-10-13

I'm off soon...

Next week I leave for India. Still pretty nervous, that's a hellofa long way from home... I'm not worried about myself so much, really (except of course for being in a massive swarm of people, which I hate, and meeting new people, which I hate, and having to present to said people, which I hate...) but I will worry sick about my family, if anything happens it's not like I can get there anytime soon... I am really, really counting on my niece Cassie to come that weekend I'm gone and help out, I need to call them tonight and verify that...

Watching 'The Amazing Race' hasn't helped, or course, with my nervousness. Seems every season they visit India, and it looks like a crowded, dirty milling mass of humanity. That's a gross overgeneralization on my part, I know, and Bangalore isn't anything like much of urban India, most American-citizen Indian ex-patriates reside in Bangalore now. But still, it is definitely nothing like Europe, which is my only foreign experience so far.

I'm not a snob, really. I know as an American, I am unbelievably blessed and privledged beyond any imagining, and I am thankful for that. I also know there is much poverty in the world, and places that we, as Americans, would consider impoverished but that they don't consider as such.

I just really, really don't feel the inclination to immerse myself in it.

The reality is that I'm sure I will feel even more thankful for the privledges I have, once I return. But that doesn't erase the overall uneasiness.

In short, this sucks.

But it will be an experience. I'm sure Nathaniel (my boss) will think me a wuss for not wanting to really go anywhere over the weekend of our trip. I will most likely just want to huddle in my hotel room, catch up on sleep and watch movies and play games. Ya, I'm a geek like that.

I keep telling people, and they just don't believe me. Sometimes I really don't even like the concept of people.

I have a problem with crowds. I have a problem with personal space violation. Ya I know, whine whine, bitch and moan. Get over it, that's what a blog is for. No-one else would listen to me in person, right? So now you're stuck with me, unless you click off. So za.

On a last note. I know I tend to internalize things. I refuse to let my family know of my uneasiness, because I don't want them to worry, and they will have their own problems when I've gone. I don't want my co-workers to know my fear, because I don't want them to think less of me and I have to work with them, duh. And I don't want my boss to know my worries, because I'm trying to make a good impression.

So that leaves you, gentle readers, to bear witness to the fact that I am slowly becoming scared shitless over the prospect of this trip.

And just in case I've completely ruined what little opinion you had of me: Know what the worst part is?

No BF2 for two weeks.

Now THAT sucks.

No comments: