2006-08-08

Boston Vacation, Day Two: Lexington and Concord

OK, wrapping up the day (continued from the last post). So we finished up the walking tour clear across town from where we started, much less where we parked.

(Side note: The heroic Paul Revere, only made famous because of a hugely inaccurate poem written many years later by a man whose research consisted of one conversation with a tourguide, and neglected the one man who actually made it to Concord, is seen here riding a male warhorse. Yet he rode a mare into Lexington. As our tourguide stated, they just can't seem to get any statues correct in the town...)

Donna and the girls went up into the Old North Church and onto the nearby playground and park, while I trekked back across town (navigating with only a street map, what kind of geek am I without a GPS handy) to fetch the car.



After coughing up the $31 to extract my ride (ugh) I managed to make my way back to where my family was waiting. Well, somehow from the opposite direction than I was trying for. But hey, I got there, right?

We then headed for Lexington and Concord. Missed the tour bus, somehow found the two spots we wanted (Lexington Green and the Concord North Bridge). Got to hear a good story by a ranger about that day in Concord.



And yet, the best memory of those two towns for my daughters (possibly for Donna and I as well, when all was said and done) is playing Pooh Sticks off of the wooden bridge.

It was a long day by the end, only made longer by our getting lost several times on the way home, and the fact that the local Girl Scout store did not post their summer hours on their web site and so were closed by the time we got there (grrr). And after all, we spent time together as a family, and that's the important thing. I'm hoping that tomorrow we will spend more time relaxing and enjoying things, rather than get so worn out as we did today.


Got the whale watching tour tomorrow morning, and the Duck tour tomorrow afternoon. To be continued once again.

No comments: