2006-08-12

Boston Vacation, Day Six: American Girl and Home Again

So the kids are finally settled in for the night, and Donna's trying to sleep off her pain - she's still hurting from her fall, and sports a nice kaleidoscope of colors on her knee as well now. But here I am, back on my home computer, CrazyHarry (how I missed thee, old friend) to wrap up the vacation narrative.

Had a bit of difficulty sleeping last night. Might have been the unfamiliar surroundings, or Carrie's tendency to loudly proclaim her indignation on the course her dream has taken (I'd still like to know exactly what it was she took and what she was doing with it)... But no, I have the feeling that it might be the jackhammer on the street outside that was intermittently trying to tear up the street until 12:30am. Yeah, I think that was it.

But the day dawned early and bright, and I grabbed a shower before we headed out, dolls in tow to make the American Girl Brunch. Let me tell you, though this was a very expensive hotel, the location made it worth the stay. Everything is in walking distance, from Times Square to the theatre district to Saks Fifth Avenue (yep, passed the original, right on 5th). And AG was only two blocks down, very nice.

The American Girl Place was a bit of a wonderland experience for my girls. Imagine, if you will, the coolest possible gadgets or books or whatever your passion is. Imagine it crammed into four stories of shopping space, with beautiful layouts and plenty of ideas on how to use them, as well and helpful staff and other fanatics of whatever this passion is. Now, magnify it on the order of tenfold, and you might come close to the exuberance dripping from so many girls and tweens and teens running amok across the landscape of American Girls. For my six- and nine-year-old, they were in heaven.

So let's see, we did the brunch first. The girls got little table-clip-on seats for their dolls. I was quite fond of the American Girl Berry Tea myself, and the flowered decor was simply lovely. Yeah, and I wasn't the only dad their either, there are still some of us secure enough in our masculinity to do all we can with our daughters, even answer the party questions geared for girls. (I happen to be the kind of person to show up late to the big show, but my favorite color of the day indicated I was only looking for somewhere quiet to relax. Boy was I in the wrong city...)

After brunch we made our way down to the hospital, where we learned that the scuff marks on the Bitty Baby's heads are just love marks (and would otherwise require head transplants, not an option my girl's would accept) but we did get the strings on Carrie's Amanda tightened up. Next stop, the hair salon. Oh yes, you heard me right. Both the babies got a spa treatment (washed up and shined to a glow, with a ribbon tied around their head) and Katie's Jess got a new hairdo. They actually have little salon chairs there and get a lesson on doll maintenance. Who knew such things were so complicated...

Carrie got herself her first actual American Girl doll. Though we tried to interest her in one of the historical ones, she decided on one of the lookalike dolls, so we ended up with Daisy, blue-eyed and brown-haired (with highlights). Armed with their bestest buddies, the girls proceeded to the photo shoot, which I am ashamed to admit I haven't even seen the outcome for. I found myself a nice corner to sit in amongst the birthday outfits and the flowered dresses for both the Bitty Babies and for the girls (yes, all outfits have a match for their owner). Out of the way, I could rest with my burdens and not get stepped on.

By the end of the day we had time to make the late checkout (2pm), get our car packed (actually the bellhop loaded all our bags on the dolly, and then loaded up our van for us - I could really get used to that kind of service, even if I have to tip more for it) and hop on the road. This time we avoided the Holland Tunnel like the plague itself, and instead took the Lincoln Tunnel. And guess what? We were out of the city within a matter of minutes and on our way through New Jersey.

Mostly uneventful ride back, clear shot via 78/81 to home. And yes, the kitties were pissy, but very glad to see us. Tomorrow: Laundry! (Yet I shall not regale you any further with such awe-inspiring events.)

In case you lost track, you can read from the start of the vacation and work your way back again.

No comments: