2006-08-10

Boston Vacation, Day Three: Bostonian Drivers Redux

Somehow I managed to drop off to sleep early last night, so I'm now a day behind in my blogging. Not that anyone's glued to the screen, gleefully anticipating my prose.

So, in reward to your infinite patience, you get to hear me rant about the roads of Boston again. Yeehaw!

Here's something people may notice when they drive through the city - lanes merge without warning. I'll be driving along, and all of the sudden the lane divides will disappear (like I wrote about earlier) but the lane will start to shrink! It's like we're stuck in a bad sci-fi movie, "The Incredible Shrinking Highway!" Other cars, naturally, know this is going to happen and they start to move into each other. Yes, Bostonian drivers have this unique ability to move into a space fully cognizant of another person there but fully expecting them to move. And if you don't move, you will be hit. Period. Unlike in DC, where if you merge and someone is there, blaring of horns ensue and somebody backs off. Not in Boston, oh no, whoever is doing the merging somehow mysteriously obtains the right-of-way from the powers-that-be.

Queen said it best: "Get me out of this cheap B movie!"

And can the city not figure out how to label their streets at all? Did I already rant about this? Well too bad, 'cause here we go again... Looking at the map we should be on one road, but if we see a sign at all it's for a different name, and you're lucky to even get that. Should a historical city such as this not have some clear marking for tourists to get around with any shred of decency? Could there be a more tourist-unfriendly driving city around? (Note: As I have yet to endure the streets of New York, I may revise that statement tomorrow...) Donna is of the opinion that Bostonians are all descended from mind-readers. Since one tour guide said that the streets of Boston are virtually unchanged in the past 100 years or so, I'm of the opinion that Bostonians all have it ingrained where everything is, and they just expect everyone else to as well.

Sigh.

And now back to your regularly scheduled blog...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

did you figure out how much ocean there is between boston & st. john's yet... and can you drive there????