2006-02-09

Rodents of Unusual Stupidity (RoUS)

So this morning I hop downstairs into the basement to grab stuff for my lunch, in a hurry to get out the door before 6am (anytime after that and it takes two hours instead of the normal hour-and-a-half to get into work). I admire the cleanliness of the family room and play room as I pass by. (Made that way by myself, primarily by stuffing two whole trash bags worth of toys and such, now residing in "time-out" until they are earned back. Two weeks is long enough to nag and threaten the children.)

Then I stop, as I realize there was a small black object on the floor that I had just stepped over. Curious, what was it and why was it intruding on my clean floor? (It won't last, I know, but I've been relishing it whilst I could.)

Odd, but it looks like... OH CRAP THE DOOR TO THE HAMSTER CAGE!

Frantic, I look up and see sure enough, on one of the two hamster cages the door is completely off. Visions of my entire morning blown dance in front of my eyes, as I wonder where to look first, the kids would be devastated if it got lost... Then I really start to panic, maybe one of the cats popped the door off looking for a snack? That's all we need, the kids finding half-chewed hamster when they wake up in the morning...

All this flashes through my mind in a matter of seconds, but then I pause, and curiosity forces me to actually look in the cage. (Actually I expected to find the half-chewed remains there. My cats are notoriously lazy.) There, snuggled in the wheel, is the hamster. Still asleep. I give it a poke just to be sure, and it wriggles around into a tighter ball.

I reattach the door, shaking my head and saying a quiet prayer of thanks for the consistency of Rodentia Stupido Miniscule.

No comments: