2006-02-10

Bush details foiled 2002 al Qaida attack on L.A.

For the most part, I try to keep quiet on politics. For many reasons really - I could be technically classified as a conservative liberal, or maybe a conservative with a liberal slant. Anyways, I'm a card-carrying Democrat. Was a confirmed Independent until living in Virginia Beach, in Pat Robertson and the Christian Coalition's backyard, drove me to Democrat. But I hold with many conservative beliefs. Now, my wife (and her family) are all very liberal. Her sister's husband is a staunch conservative, which makes family political discussions fun... My own brother is very conservative, whilst the rest of my side are more moderate.

Anyways, back to the point. Yes, I do have one, even relating to the title. I have a very low opinion of Bush. I think, to be frank, he's a moron who couldn't find his way out of a dark room with a flashlight. And an open window. And somebody standing at the door shouting "this way, idiot!" Right. So the Secret Service should be showing up in five... four... three...

So yeah I think the whole phrase "War on Terror" is a misnomer in many ways... I have serious doubts on the management of said "War"... and though I think the intentions of the Patriot Act and other such legislature (or non-legislature, as the practice of illegal phone taps and such profligate) I want to know who will watch the watchers. Meaning once a little liberty is given up for security, it's twice as hard to gain it back. And, the risk of abuse (maybe not by the people currently administering it, but in the future) is disproportionately higher.

Right, see I'm starting to get to my point here. And I might even mention the article.

So it seems that we're waging this "War". In secret for the most part. We see liberties eroding, costs rising (monetary and deaths) but little real results that can be revealed to the public. Now, today there's an article on CNN.com (Aha! There it is, told ya so!) describing an attack on the West Coast similar in scope to the World Trade Center devastation, which was foiled:
Shortly after 9/11, al Qaida began planning to use shoe bombers to hijack a commercial airplane and fly it into the tallest building in Los Angeles, California, President Bush said Thursday.
Now this is what will really help the "War" more than any amount of politicking, strutting or proclaiming in the righteous and just cause we must follow. Concrete results.

I know, there are security concerns. Certainly there are far more highly intelligent people than myself running the show in the background, people like my brother who understand the evil that needs prosecuted in the embodiment that is al Qaida. These people are rightfully cautious releasing such details, as they may endanger future intelligence and even current operations. But stuff like this is what can remind the people of this nation that we're not just wasting money and lives, that all the laws and practices in use to secure intelligence is not just a power grab to move us towards a totalitarian society depicted in numerous scifi novels and movies.

Naturally, as a result of the shady politics of the current administration, there's a certain amount of skepticism about the reported foiled attempt:
Two members of the Senate Intelligence Committee, Sens. Jay Rockefeller, D-West Virginia, and Dianne Feinstein, D-California, questioned the timing and the details of Bush's revelation.

"It may be that they're tired of talking about the Brooklyn Bridge, and they're trying to find a different edifice of some sort," Rockefeller said.

Added Feinstein, "All I'm saying is that's not a new revelation and I've never seen anything that indicated whether the second wave was bona fide or not."
That's unfortunate, as it indicates that Bush has lost the chance to really win people over to this "War". I don't think it can happen. It could have, if his administration was open to the people from the start. We're not dull children to be led by the nose, and given what share is for our own good, as I believe most politicians think. We're a nation of critical thinkers. The younger generation has more of a voice than ever, booming loud throughout the internet, and they tend to be the most skeptical of all.

So that rounds off my discussion on politics. Most likely won't happen again. I alienate far too many family members and friends that way. (Don't even get me started on religion...)

Cheers!

No comments: