2007-10-08

MMO Bans Men Playing As Women

I'm just catching up on all the Slashdot articles and other sundry items that pass thru my inbox. Been awhile, and what better day than Columbus day to do so. (FYI, although I do have to work today, the government agency we contract for is off.)
In a bizarre move Aurora Technology the owners of the King of the World MMORPG has taken the unusual step of banning men who play women characters but the ban itself does not stretch to women playing men. If you want to play as a woman now in game you have to prove you are a women via web cam. This is something that people ask for in many mmorpgs I myself have seen people say people who play women in EVE online as being some kind of degenerate but how long can a policy of verification by web cam last since its so easy to get around it doesn't seem to solve much and is an insult to many.

Personally I find this ridiculous. Yes, I play both female and male characters in MMOs and RPGs. So what? My daughters think it's great I do so, on the occasion that they sit in may lap or watch over my shoulder. They think it's cool to see a heroine kicking butt. I'm secure enough in my masculinity to play a female character online, and I have no problem in chat informing that I'm male. I don't play to flirt or anything, so what's degenerate about it? Sounds like those who complain so much have some other problems that need addressing. In other words, methinks they doth protest too much.

No comments: