2006-09-06

RIP Steve Irwin - and a New Site to Visit

I'm sure everyone has heard the news, and seen the commentaries about the passing of Steve Irwin. I usually don't make comments unless an event affects me in some momentous way (self-centered view, I know), but in browsing the web I came across a site I hadn't before. This guy is effing hilarious, mature readers only tho, so be forewarned. Anyways, he did a piece on Irwin, and I'm right there with him.
I guess on some level, sure... we were all laughing at him a little. You can't run around in khaki short-shorts smiling as innocently as Steve did, or get as unabashedly excited about kangaroo poop as Steve got, without inviting at least some measure of ridicule. Yet simultaneously, there was an unspoken understanding among us that, even if he did perhaps owe most of his bravery to having the emotional development of a functionally retarded ten year-old, the dude had balls the size of Ayers Rock. It's probably an unwritten rule of male machismo that once you've got "Put crocodile in headlock" on your resume, you're pretty much allowed to act and dress however the [heck] you like. Steve earned the right to be ridiculous.

...

We'll miss you, Steve. Hopefully you're in a better place now, with all manner of dangerous and poisonous mythical creatures - all of which are patiently waiting for you to walk up behind them while you yell excitedly at a camera, before lifting up their tails to prod curiously at their genitalia.
God bless ya, Steve, and all my condolences to the family you left behind. We will indeed miss you.

But do check out Jay's site. Some of the comics on there, and fake ads, made me almost fall outta my chair.

No comments: