2004-10-06

Protecting the Perimeter With OpenBSD

I haven't had the chance to play with OpenBSD yet, just its cousin FreeBSD. I like the BSD line of Unixes, they're just a different mindset from Linux and Solaris. It's been so long since I've touched FreeBSD I don't know if I could easily pick it up again. I need to get a test box set up at home so I can play with them.

In the Unix family, OpenBSD is akin to the crazy, paranoid uncle. Not necessarily in a bad way. OpenBSD is very particular about what it wants to accomplish, and it does this very well. That means security. OpenBSD is designed to be secure from the bottom up and from the top down. From the beginning, every line of code has been continually audited for flaws and vulnerabilities (this is an ongoing process since hackers are always developing new techniques). The initial install does not enable any system services that are not absolutely necessary for basic operation. Consequently, administrators must consciously enable features. And, without a warm and fuzzy GUI with which to do so, the idea is that admins better know what they are doing.


No comments: