2004-09-03

Bumper Sticker

Saw a funny bumper sticker on my way in to work today: "Outsource Bush"

Actually, now that I think about it, that doesn't make much sense now does it? If we outsource him, that would mean a non-American would be president... or perhaps it was a subtle commentary on someone wholly dissatisfied with the current regime but disliking the alternative as well...

I'm not terribly open about my own political views. I'm very middle-of-the-road, with a liberal slant. I have some conservative views (gun control) and some liberal ones (birth control)... notice how issues tend to always be about control?

For the first few years of my voting life I was a solid Independent. Didn't really bother me not to vote in the primaries, I'll just choose from the final list thank you. And then after living in Virginia Beach, heartland of the Christian Coalition (thar be Pat Robertson country here, boy!) I was somewhat "driven" to the Democrat Party. So that's what I am now, but I don't consider that to be my voting identity - yes I can only vote in the Democratic primary but on the final ballot I try to vote on character and ideals, not by party line.

Now when "W" came to town, I knew he was an idiot. But I've usually thought of the Presidency as a figurehead position, the real power being those who pulled the puppet strings. Well, "W" seems to be the man in charge, and that scares the bloody hell out of me. Think about it: a man who started a war under false pretenses, when he really just wanted to finish what his daddy started. And if THAT doesn't wake you up at nights, try this: if "W" does something stupid like choke on a pretzel (LOL) then who's in charge? Yup, Mr. Halliburton himself, ole Dick Cheney.

So this election, I'm not really looking at the issues or the promises - they seem to be pretty much the same now, one party is practically indistinguishable from the other, the pre-election rants seem to consist of "I can do the job better than him!" So the main issue for me, is: Do I want the country run by Big Business?

And yes, the Democrat party is just as run by special interests, but they at least have to TRY to maintain the illusion otherwise.

My point? Bush is an idiot who's actually running the country. I'll take my chances with Kerry this year. Doubt he could do MUCH worse, anyways... why, oh why couldn't McCain be on the ballot...

No comments: