2006-06-22

Ubuntu Hacks

Book review from Slashdot on a title that I added to my Amazon wish list as soon as I got the email from O'Reilly.
I recently got hold of a very nice book on Ubuntu called Ubuntu Hacks co-authored by three authors - Kyle Rankin, Jonathan Oxer and Bill Childers. This is the latest of the hack series of books published by O'Reilly. They have made available a rough cut version of the book online ahead of schedule which was how I got hold of the book but as of now you can also buy the book in print. Put in a nutshell, this book is a collection of around 100 tips and tricks which the authors choose to call hacks, which explain how to accomplish various tasks in Ubuntu Linux. The so called hacks range from down right ordinary to the other end of the spectrum of doing specialized things.
Read on for the rest of Ravi's review. All I can say is, wow. After reading the review myself, I have got to run out and get this book now - while I may know the ins and outs of Linux system administration, there are a myriad of little details in setting up a Linux workstation or laptop that are dealt efficiently and effectively in this book. And besides, Ubuntu rocks. "Linux for Human Beings," indeed.

No comments: