2006-05-24

Teamplay in Games: BF2 vs. DDO

I've updated my Gaming Page with a new review of my experiences playing the Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) game called Dungeons & Dragons Online: Stormreach (DDO). Sort of outside the scope of that article, yet integral to it, are the feelings I have towards MMOs in general. Granted, as I mentioned previously, my MMO experience is decidedly limited, and if I were a more avid player this opinion would undoubtedly change. But as I do play a wide variety of games, from Real-Time Strategy (RTS, like Command & Conquer: Generals) to First-Person Shooters (FPS, like Quake or Unreal Tournament) to Computer Role-Playing Games (CRPG, mostly turn-based as in Neverwinter Nights or Temple of Elemental Evil) and some hybrids (not sure what exactly to classify Battlefield 2 as, it's mostly FPS but very team-oriented), I do feel I can qualify my opinions. With that in mind, I'm going to make some comparisons between team-based play with a game such as BF2 and an MMO such as DDO.

Teams in BF2 are, for the most part, voluntary. (Some servers require you to team up or they reserve the right to kick you, and really to get the most out of the game you should be in a squad anyways). You can opt to be a lone-wolf, and still get individual points, and not (debatably) affect the outcome of the game by lack of team-playing. In DDO, there are precious few quests to complete solo. Being a party member is definitely a requisite to leveling up, unless you want to repeat the same solo quests ad nauseam for fewer and fewer experience points.

Squads in BF2 are loosely based creatures. Some are cohesive units, coordinated via Voice-Over-IP or with in-game commands to tackle objectives. Others spread across the map, and only use squds to provide a convenient spawn point on your squad leader. Parties in DDO are much more intimate. You depend on your party members to get through the quest alive, and if you do die your mates must pick up your "soul gem" to transport to a rest shrine, or they must have a way of resurrecting you, or you have to respawn outside the quest in a tavern and (after healing) make your way back to the dungeon where your mates are trying to still stay alive. There exists VOIP in DDO but I really didn't give it much of a try (my friends and I used the TeamSpeak server we had set up for BF2 while we adventured).

Lastly, there is a time requirement playing both games. You can drop out of a BF2 game at any time, without adversely affecting the squad for the most part. (If you are squad leader, that will pass along to the next highest-ranked player in the squad.) With a party, you have to see the whole adventure through in one sitting or you WILL have an impact (losing a party's Cleric can be a real bummer in the depths of a dungeon).

In summation, I have two real problems playing MMOs such as DDO. They are extremely social games, which is great for those who desire that level of sociability. Me, I don't really like interacting with strangers all that much, even online. I will squad up with people I don't know in BF2, and even enjoy a game coordinating with my team in Counter-Strike: Source. But I don't really enjoy the intimacy of parties within DDO, or the need to interact with strangers every time to form up a new party.

My second problem? I paid for the retail version of BF2 (plus expansions, etc. but don't get me started on that...) For an MMO like DDO, you need to buy the retail version or digital product key for $50 (or less if you can find it in a bargain bin), PLUS you then have to pay $15 per month to play. As one review site pointed out, that almost guarantees you will spend inordinate amounts of time on the game to make your monthly fee worth the expenditure.

And besides, when I have to justify taking money out of the budget just to buy a game, it's hard to rationalize an extra $180 per year just to actually play the game.

1 comment:

dongyrn said...

Since this review, I've tried and become hooked on World of Warcraft. You can read more about my impressions on my gaming page, but suffice to say my opinions of MMOs has radically changed. There's still the price component though...